Main Article Content
This study aimed to provide evidence regarding how gratitude and positive reframing serve as predictors on student activists’ levels of sense of coherence in a private university in Tangerang. Data was collected from a sample of 140 students who were active members of student organizations. The Gratitude Questionnaire Six-Item-Form (GQ-6) was used to measure gratitude, Positive Reframing Measurement (PRM) was used to measure positive reframing, and Sense of Coherence Scale 13 Items (SOC-13) was used to measure sense of coherence. The result exhibited a significant contribution of gratitude and positive reframing toward student activist’s level of sense of coherence and all its dimensions. Other findings related to these variables, limitations of the study, and future research directions are also discussed.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Adler, M. G., & Fagley, N. S. (2005). Appreciation: Individual differences in finding value and meaning as a unique predictor of subjective well-being. Journal of Personality, 73(1), 79-114. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2004.00305.x
- Antonovsky, A. (1987). Unraveling the mystery of health: How people manage stress and stay well. Jossey-Bass.
- Antonovsky, A. (1993). The structure and properties of the Sense of Coherence scale. Social Science & Medicine, 36(6), 725-733. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(93)90033-Z
- Ariela, J., & Karsten, K. (2016). The Gratitude Questionnaire – Six Item Form (GQ-6) Indonesian Version [Unpublished measurement instrument]. Universitas Pelita Harapan.
- Bauman, Z. (2007). Liquid times: Living in an age of uncertainty. Polity Press.
- Behere, S. P., Yadav, R., & Behere, P. B. (2011). A comparative study of stress among students of medicine, engineering, and nursing. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 33(2), 145-153. https://doi.org/ 10.4103/0019-5545.105526
- BEM-UPH. (2019). Student leaders guidebook: Pemetaan organisasi 2019/2020. Universitas Pelita Harapan.
- Blom, E. C., Serlachius, E., Larrson, J., Theorell, T., & Ingvar, M. (201). Low sense of coherence (SOC) is a mirror of general anxiety and persistent depressive symptoms in adolescent girls – a cross sectional study of a clinical and non clinical cohort. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 8(58), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-8-58
- Davis, K., & Newstorm, J. W. (2008). Organizational behavior: Human behavior at work. McGraw-Hill.
- Ebede, S. S. (2015). The impact of student organizations on the development of core competencies [Master’s thesis, University of Northern Iowa]. Dissertations and Theses @ UNI. https://scholarworks.uni.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1209&context=etd
- Emmons, R. A. (2012). Queen of the virtues? Gratitude as a human strength. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 32, 49-62.
- Gross, J. J., & John, O. P. (2003). Individual differences in two emotion regulation processes: Implications for affect, relationships, and well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85(2), 348-362. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.118
- Gulliford, L., & Kristjansson, K. (2013). Recent work on the concept of gratitude in philosophy and psychology. Journal of Value Inquiry, 4, 285-317. https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s10790-013-9387-8
- Hanami, Y. (2016). Cultural differences in the situations expressing gratitude: A comparative study of Japanese and Indonesian college students [Doctoral dissertation, Tohoku University]. Tohoku University Repository. http://hdl.handle.net/10097/64203
- Kalimo, R., Pahkin, K., & Mutanen, P. (2003). Staying well or burning out at work: Work characteristics and personal resources as long term predictors of well-being. Work & Stress, 17(2), 109–122. https://doi.org/10.1080/0267837031000149919
- Lambert, N. M., & Fincham, F. D. (2011). Expressing gratitude to a partner leads to more relationship maintenance behavior. Emotion, 11(1), 52–60. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0021557
- Lambert, N. M., Fincham, F. D., Graham, S. M., & Stillman, T. F. (2009). A changed perspective: How gratitude can affect sense of coherence through positive reframing. Journal of Positive Psychology, 4(6), 461-470. https://doi.org/ 10.1080/17439760903157182
- Lenson, E. S. (2018). Overcoming adversity: Conquering life’s challenges. Australian Academic Press.
- Linley, P. A., & Harris, G. J. (2005). Understanding positive change following trauma and adversity: Structural clarification. Journal of Loss and Trauma, 10(1), 83-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325020490890741
- Lukiana, E. O., & Atika, M. (2020). Pengaruh sense of coherence (Rasa kelayakan) terhadap kualitas hidup penderita kanker serviks [Bachelor’s thesis, Trunojoyo Madura University]. Portal Artikel Tugas Akhir Universitas Trunojoyo Madura. https://pta.trunojoyo.ac.id/welcome/detail/150541100063
- McCullough, M. E., Tsang, J., & Emmons, R. A. (2002). The grateful disposition: A conceptual and empirical topography. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 82(1), 112-127. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168
- McGee, S. L., Holtge, J., Maercker, A., & Thoma, M. V. (2018). Sense of coherence and stress related resilience: Investigating the mediating and moderating mechanisms in the development of resilience following stress or adversity. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 9(378), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00378
- Montelongo, R. (2002). Student participation in college student organizations: A review of literature. Journal of the Indiana University Student Personal Association, 50–63. https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/jiuspa/article/view/4617
- Nel, W. (2018). On campus student leadership: Challenges and possibilities. Journal of Student Affairs in Africa, 4(2), 55-60. https://doi.org/10.14426/jsaa.v4i2.1533
- Riordan, C. (2013, Oktober 3). How to juggle multiple roles. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2013/10/how-to-juggle-multiple-roles
- Rosch, D., & Coers, N. (2013). How are we educating agricultural students? A national profile of leadership capacities and involvement in college compared to non-agricultural peers. Journal of American Association for Agricultural Education, 54(1), 83-96. https://doi.org/ 10.5032/jae.2013.01083
- Taylor, E., Gillborn, D., & Ladson-Billings, G. (2009). Foundations of critical race theory in education. Cultural and Pedagogical Inquiry, 3(2), 47-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/0741713610389784
- Volanen, S. M. (2011). Sense of coherence: Determinants and consequences. [Doctoral dissertation, University of Helsinki]. HELDA. http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-10-6588-0
- Wagemakers, M. A. E., Picavet, H. S. J., Verkooijen, K. T., & Koelen, M. A. (2015). Strengthening sense of coherence: Opportunities for theory building in health promotion. Health Promotion International, 31(4), 869-878. https://doi.org/ 10.1093/heapro/dav071
- Wahyono, T. (2010). Analisis regresi dengan MS Excel 2007 dan SPSS 17. Elex Media Komputindo.
- Watkins, P. C. (2014). Gratitude and the good life: Toward a psychology of appreciation. Springer.
- Wood, A. M., Joseph, S., & Linley, P. A. (2007). Coping styles as a psychological resource of grateful people. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 26(9), 1076-1093. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.2007.26.9.1076