Main Article Content
This study aims to investigate the relationship between servant leadership and employee creativity through innovative culture. This study was conducted in a cross-sectional design through an online survey towards BUMN employees from various sectors who were working from home (N = 164). Variables were measured using Servant Leadership Scale, Organizational Culture Scale, and Employee Creativity Scale. Data analysis was performed using Hayes’ mediation model on SPSS PROCESS Macro. Results showed that servant leadership was positively correlated with innovative culture and employee creativity. Innovative culture was a significant mediator to the relationship between servant leadership and employee creativity. This study highlights the importance of considering contextual factors in improving employee creativity.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Ali, M., & Park, K. (2016). The mediating role of an innovative culture in the relationship between absorptive capacity and technical and non-technical innovation. Journal of Business Research, 69(5), 1669–1675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.036
- Amabile, T. M., Conti, R., Coon, H., Lazenby, J., & Herron, M. (1996). Assessing the work environment for creativity. Academy of Management Journal, 39(5), 1154–1184. https://doi.org/10.2307/256995
- Amir, D. A., & Santoso, C. B. (2019). Examining a servant leadership construct and its influence on organizational citizenship behavior Faculty of Economics and Business. Jurnal Siasat Bisnis, 23(1), 37–49.
- Blau, P. M. (1964). Exchange and power in social life. Wiley.
- Byrne, B. M. (2010). Structural equation modeling with amos: Basic concepts, applications, and programming (2nd ed.). Taylor and Francis Group.
- Cameron, K. S., & Quinn, R. E. (1999). Diagnosing and changing organizational culture: Based on competing values framework. Addison-Wesley Publishing.
- Deshpandé, R., Farley, J. U., & Webster, F. E. (1993). Corporate culture, customer orientation, and innovativeness in Japanese firms: A quadrad analysis. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 23–37. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781452231426.n4
- Deshpandé, R., & Webster, F. E. (1989). Organizational culture and marketing: Defining the research agenda. Journal of Marketing, 53(1), 3–15.
- Dul, J., & Ceylan, C. (2011). Work environments for employee creativity. Ergonomics, 54(1), 12–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2010.542833
- Etikan, I., Musa, S. A., & Alkassim, R. S. (2016). Comparison of convenience sampling and purposive sampling. American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 5(1), 1–4. https://doi.org/https://10.11648/j.ajtas.20160501.11
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175–191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18, 39–50. https://doi.org/https://10.1177/002224378101800104
- Forum Human Capital Indonesia. (2020). Membangun SDM unggul melalui AKHLAK BUMN (2nd ed.) [e-magazine]. Human Capital Insight. https://fhcibumn.com/assets/download/e-magazine vol-2.pdf
- Greenleaf, R. K. (1977). Servant leadership: A journey into the nature of legitimate power and greatness. Paulist Press.
- Gupta, V., & Singh, S. (2013). How leaders impact employee creativity: A study of Indian R&D laboratories. Management Research Review, 36(1), 66–88. https://doi.org/10.1108/01409171311284594
- Gupta, V., & Singh, S. (2015). Leadership and creative performance behaviors in R&D laboratories: Examining the mediating role of justice perceptions. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 22(1), 21–36. https://doi.org/10.1177/1548051813517002
- Hayes, A. F. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach. Guilford Press.
- Hu, L., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structure Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1–55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Jaiswal, N. J., & Dhar, R. L. (2017). The influence of servant leadership, trust in leader and thriving on employee creativity. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 38(1), 2–21. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-02-2015-0017
- Khalili, A. (2016). Linking transformational leadership, creativity, innovation, and innovation-supportive climate. Management Decision, 54(9), 2277-2293. https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-03-2016-0196
- Khan, M. A., Ismail, F. B., Hussain, A., & Alghazali, B. (2020). The interplay of leadership styles, innovative work behavior, organizational culture, and organizational citizenship behavior. SAGE Open, 10(1), 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244019898264
- Khan, M. J., Aslam, N., & Riaz, M. (2012). Leadership styles as predictors of innovative work behavior. Pakistan Journal of Social Science and Clinical Psychology, 9(2), 17–22.
- Kotter, J. P., & Heskket, J. L. (1992). Corporate culture and performance. Free Press.
- La Prade, A., Mertens, J., Moore, T., & Wright, A. (2019). The enterprise guide to closing the skills gap. IBM Corporation. https://www.ibm.com/thought-leadership/institute-business-value/report/closing-skills-gap
- Lægreid, P., Roness, P. G., & Verhoest, K. (2011). Explaining the innovative culture and activities of state agencies. Organization Studies, 32(10), 1321–1347. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840611416744
- Li, H., Jin, H., & Chen, T. (2018). Linking proactive personality to creative performance: The role of job crafting and high-involvement work systems. Journal of Creative Behavior, 54(1), 196–210. https://doi.org/10.1002/jocb.355
- Liden, R. C., Wayne, S. J., Liao, C., & Meuser, J. D. (2014). Servant leadership and serving culture: Influence on individual and unit performance. Academy of Management Journal, 57(5), 1434–1452. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2013.0034
- Liden, R. C., Wayne, S. J., Meuser, J. D., Hu, J., Wu, J., & Liao, C. (2015). Servant leadership: Validation of a short form of the SL-28. Leadership Quarterly, 26(2), 254–269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2014.12.002
- Liden, R. C., Wayne, S. J., Zhao, H., & Henderson, D. (2008). Servant leadership: Development of a multidimensional measure and multi-level assessment. The Leadership Quarterly, 19(2), 161–177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.01.006
- Newman, A., Neesham, C., Manville, G., & Tse, H. H. M. (2017). Examining the influence of servant and entrepreneurial leadership on the work outcomes of employees in social enterprises. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 29(20), 2905–2926. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2017.1359792
- Ogbonna, E., & Harris, L. C. (2000). Leadership style, organizational culture and performance: Empirical evidence from UK companies. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 11(4), 766–788. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190050075114
- Palomino, P. R., & de Lara, P. Z. M. (2020). How and when servant leaders fuel creativity: The role of servant attitude and intrinsic motivation. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.102537
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Lee, J. Y., & Podsakoff, N. P. (2003). Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(5), 879-903.
- Purba, D. E., & Fawzi, A. R. (2019). The effects of perceived supervisor support and servant leadership on voluntary turnover. Humaniora, 10(3), 211–217. https://doi.org/10.21512/humaniora.v10i3.5818
- Ratcheva, V. S., & Leopold, T. (2018). 5 things to know about the future of jobs. World Economic Forum. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/09/future-of-jobs-2018-things-to-know/
- Sendjaya, S., & Pekerti, A. (2010). Servant leadership as antecedent of trust in organizations. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 31(7), 643–663. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437731011079673
- Shalley, C. E., & Gilson, L. L. (2004). What leaders need to know: A review of social and contextual factors that can foster or hinder creativity. The Leadership Quarterly, 15(1), 33–53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2003.12.004
- Sultika, B., & Hartijasti, Y. (2017). Faktor-faktor yang memengaruhi kreativitas dan orientasi inovasi di tempat bekerja. Jurnal Riset Bisnis Dan Manajemen Tirtayasa, 1(2), 179–199. https://doi.org/10.48181/jrbmt.v1i2.3036
- Suryani, A. O., van de Vijver, F. J. R., Poortiga, Y. H., & Setiadi, B. N. (2012). Indonesian leadership styles: A mixed-methods approach. Asian Journal of Social Psychology, 15(4), 290-303. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-839X.2012.01384.x
- Taha, V., Sirková, M., & Ferencová, M. (2016). The impact of organizational culture on creativity and innovation. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 14(1), 7–17. https://doi.org/10.17512/pjms.2016.14.1.01
- van Dierendonck, D. (2011). Servant leadership: A review and synthesis. Journal of Management, 37(4), 1228–1261. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206310380462
- Wahyu, A. M., & Sa’id, M. (2020). Produktivitas selama work from home: Sebuah analisis psikologi sosial. Jurnal Kependudukan Indonesia, 15(2), 53–60. https://doi.org/10.14203/jki.v0i0.570
- Yang, J., Gu, J., & Liu, H. (2019). Servant leadership and employee creativity: The roles of psychological empowerment and work–family conflict. Current Psychology, 38(6), 1417–1427. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-019-0161-3
- Yang, J., Liu, H., & Gu, J. (2017). A multi-level study of servant leadership on creativity: The roles of self-efficacy and power distance. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 38(5), 610–629. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-10-2015-0229
- Yoshida, D. T., Sendjaya, S., Hirst, G., & Cooper, B. (2014). Does servant leadership foster creativity and innovation? A multi-level mediation study of identification and prototypicality. Journal of Business Research, 67(7), 1395–1404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.08.013
- Yu, P. L. (2017). Innovative culture and professional skills: The use of supportive leadership and individual power distance orientation in IT industry. International Journal of Manpower, 38(2), 198–214. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJM-10-2014-0214
- Zhou, J., & George, J. M. (2001). When job dissatisfaction leads to creativity: Encouraging the expression of voice. Academy of Management Journal, 44(4), 682–696. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069410
- Zou, W. C., Tian, Q., & Liu, J. (2015). Servant leadership, social exchange relationships, and follower’s helping behavior: Positive reciprocity belief matters. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 51, 147–156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.08.012