Main Article Content
The advancement of Internet worldwide has led to a new phenomena of the use of social media. Social media is used not only to connect to other people but to create good impression that sometimes involves deceiving. Social media users often manipulate their appearance in social media, such as editing their photos or faking their identities. This phenomenon is categorized as deception behavior. While this is an emerging phenomenon, there has been lack of studies that attempt to measure an individual’s intention to involve in deception behavior in social media. The aim of this study is to construct Deception Behavior in Social Media Scale based on the Utz’s (2005) theory. The respondents of this study were 457 active social media users in Jakarta and greater areas with an age ranged from 15-40 years. This study included item making and tested the scale using Component Analysis (PCA) followed by second order Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA). Reliability testing was performed using Cronbach's alpha coefficient. The result showed that this scale is reliable measure deception behavior in social media.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Burgoon, J. K., & Levine, T. R (2010). Advances in deception detection. Sage.
- Chadha, N. K. (2009). Applied psychometry. Sage.
- Carson, T. L. (2010). Lying and deception: Theory and practice. Oxford University Press.
- Dunne, A., Lawlor, M. A., & Rowley, J. (2010). Young people’s use of online social networking sites – A uses and gratifications perspective. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 4, 46-58.
- Knapp, M. L., Mcglone, M. S., Griffin, D. J., & Earnest, W. (2016). Lying and deception in human
- interaction. Kendall Hunt.
- Hair, Jr. J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., &Anderson, R. E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis.
- Hayuputri, F. M. (2019). Akun palsu di media sosial dalam kaitannya dengan deindividuasi. Buletin KPIN, 5(19). https://buletin.k-pin.org/index.php/arsip-artikel/477-akun-palsu-di-media-sosial-dalam-kaitannya-dengan-deindividuasi.
- Hootsuite. (2019, September 12). Data tren internet dan media sosial 2019 di Indonesia. Ditemu kembali dari https://andi.link/hootsuite-we-are-social-indonesian-digital-report-2019/.
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cut-off criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1-55.
- Moningka, C. (2017). Self-comparison: The self in digital world. Dalam M. F. Wright (Ed.), Identity, sexuality, and relationships among emerging adults in the digital age (hlm. 18-26). IGI Global.
- Murphy, K. R., & Davidshover, C. O. (2001). Psychological testing: Principles and applications (5th ed.). Prentice Hall.
- Rust, J., & Golombok, S. (2009). Modern psychometrics: The science of psychological assessment (3rd ed.). Routledge.
- Sanderson, C. A. (2010). Social psychology. John Wiley & Sons.
- Selviana. (2016). Empati dan penggunaan situs jejaring sosial sebagai faktor dalam membentuk moral remaja. Jurnal Psikologi Ulayat, 3(2), 143-157. https://doi.org/10.24854/jpu22016-68
- Szwedo, D. E., Mikami, A., Y., & Allen, J. P. (2012). Social networking site use predicts changes in young adults’ psychological adjustment. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 22(3), 453-466. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-7795.2012.00788.x
- Utz, S. (2005). Types of deception and underlying motivation. Social Science Computer Review, 23(1), 49-56. https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439304271534
- Whitty, M. T., & Young, G. (2017). Cyberpsychology: The study of individuals, society and digital technologies. Wiley Blackwell.