Main Article Content
This study presents a brief treatment report of a 22-year-old-female, with a diagnosis of somatic symptom disorder and exacerbated by schizoid-avoidant personality features. Both conditions induced anxiety and many other difficulties in her functioning. Her negative self-views were the main issues that led to excessive negative emotionality, both internally (somatization) and externally (interpersonal relationship difficulties). The purpose of this case report is to illustrate an integrated treatment process consisting of cognitive-behavioral therapy and gratitude therapy. Gratitude therapy helps to alter the preoccupation of negative perspectives. Conclusions on the effectiveness of treatment were interpreted with an eye on the study’s methodological limitations.
- Allen, L. A., Woolfolk, R. L., Escobar, J. I., Gara, M. A., & Hamer, R. M. (2006). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for somatization disorder: A randomized controlled trial. Archives of Internal Medicine, 166(14), 1512-1518. doi: 10.1001/archinte.166.14.1512
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5®). American Psychiatric Pub.
- Emmons, R. A., & Stern, R. (2013). Gratitude as a psychotherapeutic intervention. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 69(8), 846-855. doi: 10.1002/jclp.22020
- Kirmayer, L. J., Robbins, J. M., & Paris, J. (1994). Somatoform disorders: Personality and the social matrix of somatic distress. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 103(1), 125-136.
- Krech, G. (2001). Naikan: Gratitude, grace, and the Japanese art of self-reflection. Stone Bridge Press.
- Millon, T., Millon, C. M., Meagher, S. E., Grossman, S. D., & Ramnath, R. (2004). Personality disorders in modern life. John Wiley & Sons.
- Susana, T. (2006). Somatisasi dalam budaya kolektivis ditinjau dari teori pemaknaan Nelson: Kritik terhadap psikoanalisa klasik. Buletin Psikologi, 14(2), 89-104.
- Westbrook, D., Kennerley, H., & Kirk, J. (2011). An introduction to cognitive behaviour therapy: Skills and applications. Sage Publications.