Main Article Content
This study determines the use of pictorial media to improve the initial reading ability of slow learners. The research hypothesizes that a significant increase in reading abilities will occur after receiving the pictorial cards as an intervention’s media. This study applies a pretest-posttest single group design. Wilcoxon’s test analysis showed that there were differences in initial reading ability scores before and after the intervention. The reading ability scores after using the pictorial card media were higher than before the intervention. Therefore, the pictorial media was able to improve the initial reading ability of slow learners based on this study’s samples of elementary students with poor reading skills.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Levie, W. H., & Lentz, R. (1982). Effects of text illustrations: A review of research. Educational Communication and Technology Journal, 30, 195-232.
- Mumpuniarti, M. (2017). Challenges faced by teachers in teaching literacy and numeracy for slow learners. Journal of Sustainable Development, 10(3), 243. https://doi.org/10.5539/jsd.v10n3p243
- Najma, I. M., Rehman, G., & Hanif, R. (2012). Effect of academic interventions on the developmental skills of slow learners. Pakistan Journal of Psychological Research, 27(1), 135–151.
- Raiyn, J. (2018). The role of visual learning in improving students’ high-order thinking skills. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(24), 115-121.
- Rizkoh, F., Ohoiwutun, J. E., & Thamrin, N. S. (2014). The implementation of speed reading technique to improve comprehension achievement. e-Journal of English Language Teaching Society (ELTS), 2(3), 1-15.
- Rodriguez-Dorta, M. & Borges, A. (2017). Behavioral pattern in special education: Good Teaching Practice. Frontiers in Psychology, 8(631), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00631
- Shaw, S. R. (2010). Rescuing students from the slow learner trap. Principal Leadership, 10(6), 12-16.
- Tampubolon. (1990). Kemampuan membaca: Teknik membaca efektif dan efisien. Angkasa.
- Widyana, R., Safitri, R. M., & Purnamasari, S. E. (2010). Validasi alat pengukuran (assesment tools) kemampuan membaca awal. Jurnal Insight, 8(1), 8-22.
- Zubaidah, E. (2013). Kesulitan membaca permulaan pada anak: Diagnosa dan cara mengatasinya. Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta.