Main Article Content
Recent studies suggest that school well-being is an important predictor of students’ achievement. One of the determinants of school well-being is social support. This study aims to examine the role of perceived social support toward school well-being among senior high school students. A total of 304 students (Mage = 16.27; SD = .815) participated in this study and were approached through accidental sampling. Results indicate that perceived social support plays a significant role in determining the school well-being of high school students. Of the five identified sources of social support, perceived support from teacher was known to have the biggest contribution towards high school students’ school well-being, while perceived support from peer groups has the smallest role towards their school well-being. The study concludes by recommending high schools to consider providing and fulfilling students’ social support as an effort to maintain their school well-being and to encourage their performance.
- Akturk, A. O. (2015). Analysis of cyberbullying sensitivity levels of high school students and their perceived social support levels. Emerald, 12(1), 44-61.
- Allardt, E. (1989). An updated indicator system: Having, loving, being. University of Helsinki: Finland.
- Azwar, S. (2015). Penyusunan skala psikologi (2nd ed.). Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
- Danielsen, A. G., Samdal, O., Hetland, J., & Wold, B. (2009). School-related social support and students’ perceived life satisfaction. The Journal of Educational Research, 102(4), 303–320.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. New York, NY: Plenum.
- Huebner, S. E., & McCullough, G. (2000). Correlates of school satisfaction among adolescents. The Journal of Educational Research, 93(5), 331-335.
- Konu, A., & Koivisto, A. M. (2011). The school well-being profile - A valid instrument for evaluation. Paper presented at the Conference: EDULEARN11 - Barcelona 2011. Ditemu kembali dari https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230805981_The_School_Well-Being_Profile_-_a_valid_instrument_for_evaluation
- Konu, A., & Lintonen, T. P. (2006). School well-being in grades 4–12. Health Education Research, 21(5), 633–642.
- Konu, A., & Rimpela, M. (2002). Well–being in school: A conceptual model. Health Promotion International, 17(1), 79-87.
- Liu, W., Mei, J., Tian, L., & Huebner, E. S. (2016). Age and gender differences in the relation between school-related social support and subjective well-being in school among students. Social Indicators Research, 125(3), 1065–1083.
- Malecki, C. K., & Demaray, M. K. (2003). What type of support do they need? Investigating student adjustment as related to emotional, informational, appraisal, and instrumental support. School Psychology Quarterly, 18, 231-252.
- Malecki, C. K., Demaray, M. K., & Elliott, S. N. (2014). A working manual on the development of the child and adolescent social support scale (2000). DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University.
- Munoz-Laboy, M., Severson, N., Perry, A., & Guilamo-Ramos, V. (2013). Differential impact of types of social support in the mental health of formerly incarcerated latino men. Am J Mens Health, 8(3), 226–239.
- Nanda, A., & Widodo, P. B. (2015). Efikasi diri ditinjau dari school well-being pada siswa Sekolah Menengah Kejuruan di Semarang. Jurnal Empati, 4(3), 90-95.
- Nidianti, W. E., & Desiningrum, D. R. (2015). Hubungan antara school well-being dengan agresivitas. Jurnal Empati, 4(1), 202-207.
- Pusat Data dan Statistik Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan. (2017). Ikhtisar data pendidikan dan kebudayaan 2017/18. Jakarta: Kementerian Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan.
- Santrock, J. W. (2014). Psikologi pendidikan. Jakarta: Salemba Humanika.
- Sarwono, S. W. (2015). Psikologi remaja. Jakarta: Raja Grafindo.
- Tian, L., Liu, B., Huang, S., & Huebner, E. S. (2013). Perceived social support and school well-being among Chinese early and middle adolescents: The mediational role of self-esteem. Social Indicators Research, 113(3), 991–1008.
- Tobia, V., Greco, A., Steca, P., & Marzocchi. (2019). Children’s well-being at school: A multi-dimensional and multi-informant approach. Journal of Happiness Studies, 20(3), 841–861
- Tomyn, A. J., & Cummins, R. (2010). The subjective well-being of high-school students: Validating the personal well-being index—School children. Social Indicators Research, 101(3). doi: 10.1007/s11205-010-9668-6
- Vedder, P., Boekaerts, M., & Seegers, G. (2005). Perceived social support and well-being in school: The role of students’ ethnicity. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 34(3), 269–278.